- Understanding the text on a literal level
- Appreciating the contexts and texts (approaching the text with Historicism)
- Analysing the themes, issues, characters, structures, styles, etc
- Using relevant literary theories to approach the text
- Appropriating the literary vocabulary and
- Answering essay questions on the text
Answering questions is a whole new area. I believe that students should make it a practice to answer questions.
Next year, I will be expanding the list of titles I do to include "Waterland" by Graham Swift, and rereading "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen, Edith Wharton's "The Age of Innocence" etc.
I want to let my students know this - "thank you for being reasonable and trusting me to help you. I give you my assurance that despite my busy teaching schedule, I will do my best to help you. I need some time and for my JC 1 students, if I cannot find the time to help you with one of the texts this year, I will definitely get to it by early next year." So far teaching Literature is like climbing Mount Everest but the view gets more marvellous as I scale the heights. I hope you enjoy the journey with me.